ITEMS_MODULE

Have you created a module that you would like to submit to BudaBot? Post it here, and it might make it into the next release.
Tyrence
The Team

ITEMS_MODULE

Postby Tyrence » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:38 pm

A few changes for the ITEMS_MODULE.

First, there is now an option to do item lookups using Xyphos.com (this is the method Vhabot and Bebot) use. Xyphos.com has good rips, but in my experience the rips provided by MajourOutage are better, so the default setting will still be to use the local items db. You can configure this in the settings for this module.

Also added the !updateitems module. For people using the local items db, this will automatically download the latest items db rip that is available so you don't have to manually install it. You will probably want to run this command after every patch.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine
"Nearly all men stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." — Abraham Lincoln
Budabot Releases and Downloads: https://github.com/Budabot/Budabot/releases
Tyrence
The Team

Re: ITEMS_MODULE

Postby Tyrence » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:12 pm

A few changes to this module. It now checks for an update to the items db once a day automatically. It will automatically download and install the items db update if a new version exists. Not that this is ONLY for the items db. Note that this is already in the 2.2 version that was released in April.

It looks like we are missing the very latest version (with the nomad armor) so I will talk to MajorOutage see if he is still providing rips. We should have that updated within a few days.

Also, the option to use xyphos.com to do items lookups is now broken. Not sure how much info you want about this, but basically this guy named Iriche hosts xyphos.com now. He's a friend of Vhab, and is part of that drama, and the end result is that he doesn't like me. He made a change to the lookup for xyphos.com that conveniently breaks the Budabot implementation.

So anyway, I am curious how many people use (used) xyphos.com for items lookups or how many people would be interested in using it if it worked. If no one does (did) or no one wants to, I'll just take it out. If people want it, I'll see what I can do to fix it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine
"Nearly all men stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." — Abraham Lincoln
iriche
antispam: Rimor

Postby iriche » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:40 am

Hello,
I am the hoster of Xyphos.com - Xyphos is still maintaining it though.

However I fixed a bug in CIDB when I went over the code when I gathered some stats - some bots didn't send the required bot= parameter. This kind of messed up the stats and when I looked at the code it wasn't a requirement as it should be - so I fixed it.

So that it have worked before have been a bug - that it don't work without bot= now is the correct way it should work.

So that it broke any plugins (Could break other bots too if they don't follow the CIDB spec that was put up years ago)

Any questions? Do not hesitate asking me

Best Regards
Iriche
Tyrence
The Team

Postby Tyrence » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:33 am

We are more than happy to make this change. However, I have a few concerns:

1) The CIDB public API is documented here: http://www.xyphos.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10000162. Until today, it did not list a bot param and the example that it had was broken. It is fixed now because I informed Xyphos of the discrepancy and he fixed it earlier today. The date on that thread is 8 Sep 2010 so it has not even been up a year.

2) It is clear from your post that you knew things would break with that change, but made it anyway. That is just bad judgement on your part. Not much more to say about that.

3) There was no mention of this change that I can find. No post about it, no nothing. This is extremely bad form, especially for a public API, and it just can't happen again.

I am willing to make a patch that users can download to include the bot param in the request, and I will include this change in future releases. However, I require some things from you:

1) Change the bot param to be optional so it works again for current users. You may display a notice at the BOTTOM of the output informing them that they need to upgrade/patch. I am not going to force them to upgrade or patch, and some of them won't. It must still work for those people.

2) This can't happen again. And by that I mean that it can't change. If you need to change it, then you need to version it. I can help you with this if you are unsure of how to do it.
darkcrow17
antispam: rimor

Postby darkcrow17 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:17 pm

hi. i just registered here cuz u want to remove xyphos from budabot.
plz dont. our corp uses it a lot. its really fast with updating. the other one takes way too long.
so plz dont remove xyphos support. maybe u can make auno support too?

i found this thread from vhabs thread on the ao forums.
it makes u look bad. u should reply to that.
you shouldnt mess with that guy he works for fc.

stop with the drama and keep making budabot awesome!
peace out bro.

-- DarkCrow
iriche

Postby iriche » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Tyrence wrote:I am willing to make a patch that users can download to include the bot param in the request, and I will include this change in future releases. However, I require some things from you:

1) Change the bot param to be optional so it works again for current users. You may display a notice at the BOTTOM of the output informing them that they need to upgrade/patch. I am not going to force them to upgrade or patch, and some of them won't. It must still work for those people.

2) This can't happen again. And by that I mean that it can't change. If you need to change it, then you need to version it. I can help you with this if you are unsure of how to do it.

1. Will not happen. It will always be required as the original specification of CIDB.

2. If it needs changing it will change. Just like any other people need to update there plugins. But if there is a change that is groundbreaking of course the CIDB specification on VhaBot site / http://www.vhabot.net/static.php?id=services will be updated.

I am also sorry that you didn't notice this before and you based it on the spec on Xyphos forum - I didn't even know that Xyphos had posted a spec there since the official spec is the one on VhaBot forum.

Hope to see a patch for BudaBot users soon - a good thing can also be to append the BudaBot version numer in the bot=
Tyrence
The Team

Postby Tyrence » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:26 pm

iriche wrote:1. Will not happen. It will always be required as the original specification of CIDB.

I know. I knew what the answer would be even before I made the request. You and Vhab are a lot alike, you break your own code (or in this case not even your own code) and then you expect me to change my code to compensate.

Anyway, I have your answer, don't post here again.

@Darkcrow, I will take your request into consideration.
darkcrow17
antispam: rimor

Postby darkcrow17 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:59 pm

tyrence. u gotta keep it cool man
ur so stressed all the time :D

iriche i no what u mean. cant make a omlete without breaking sum eggs
but u shouldnt break it more. it works fine now k?

i fixed it on our bot. my bro told me to use notepad. word messed it all up and stuff.
for the pplz using xyphos use this from the ao forums

1) Open: modules/ITEMS_MODULE/functions.php
2) Look for line 64, which has: $url .= "&output=aoml";
3) Change it into: $url .= "&output=aoml&bot=budabot";

restart bot and its good as new.

peace out
-- DC
iriche

Postby iriche » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:35 am

Tyrence wrote:
iriche wrote:1. Will not happen. It will always be required as the original specification of CIDB.

I know. I knew what the answer would be even before I made the request. You and Vhab are a lot alike, you break your own code (or in this case not even your own code) and then you expect me to change my code to compensate.

Not sure if I made my self clear or not, don't think so. If something is changed major it will use versioning. Defaulted to the old with a text at top. "Please update you bot" after 1-2 months it will be swapped to default new.
But this is for groundbreaking stuff like adding info and other things.

darkcrow17 wrote:iriche i no what u mean. cant make a omlete without breaking sum eggs
but u shouldnt break it more. it works fine now k?

There are some big bugs in CIDB that needs to be looked at, depending on how bot modules are written they MAY bug out and needs fixing. But that is also due to bugs in CIDB. There is a great post about theese bugs over at Xyphos by Savagedlight/Demoder
Tyrence
The Team

Postby Tyrence » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:36 am

Vhab has told me that he ultimately wishes the the best for Budabot users. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be true as this change has disrupted the functionality of Budabot. It's surprising, having been a non-issue for nearly 9 months, that this has suddenly become an issue.

@DarkCrow, I took your input into consideration but in the two and a half months that it's been broken, not a single person reported it, and the only reason that I even know it's broken is because I tried it the other day. In addition, you're the ONLY Budabot user who seemed to care enough about keeping it to reply to this thread.

So I've decided to remove xyphos.com support from the ITEMS_MODULE in Budabot. Besides there not being a lot of interest in this feature, there were a few other things that I considered in this decision.

Some of you may remember 5 or 6 years ago when IGN bot was popular. It used the Vhabot Central Items Database (the one that Iriche linked to), very similar to the Xyphos one. Vhab had issues with the IGN bot and was blatant about them on the IGN forums. The IGN developers retaliated with some flaming of their own, so as a final blow Vhab shut down access to his CIDB for IGN bots which broke !items for ALL current users of IGN bots. IGN users had no choice but to migrate to another bot. In most cases they lost all their settings and had to redo their alts list, their guest lists, etc.

The PREMADE_IMPLANT_MODULE (now part of the IMPLANT_MODULE in 2.x) was originally written to use a service similar to CIDB where the bot sends a query to a web site and then gets the results. Initially I was on good terms with Demoder, the girl who hosts this service, and in fact she wrote that service at my request. However, after the Vhab drama hit, she didn't like me anymore. Earlier this year her service suddenly started requiring a 'bot' parameter, which broke the !premade command for all Budabot 1.0 users. There was no public notice of this change, and definitely no communication to me about it.

It bothers me, a lot, when things break for Budabot users, whether it's my fault or someone elses. I have tried my best to fix every single bug that is reported, and to fix them as soon as possible. I make it a point to respond to every single post on the forums. And I have tried to implement every single feature requested that I possibly can so that Budabot will work for you.

I do not want things to break for Budabot users, and I definitely don't want them to go through what IGN users went through. I believe removing Xyphos support is the best decision for Budabot.

For those who still want this functionality, I have created a separate download for the ITEMS_MODULE that has the xyphos.com support. It mimics the Bebot implementation so hopefully they can't break it. It can be downloaded from here: http://www.box.net/shared/373v6hmg5u/1/ ... /853402467 and it should work for any Budabot 2.x versions (including future versions). But support for it will be very limited and it will not be included in future versions of Budabot--you will need to install it yourself.

Return to “User Modules”