Installing on Windows

Questions, comments, suggestions, and bug reports
Docsii

Installing on Windows

Postby Docsii » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:44 pm

Do you have or is there a guide of everything you need to do to setup the bot on a Windows 10 machine. Do I need do download a sql thingy and that php thing too ?
eli

Re: Installing on Windows

Postby eli » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:00 am

Docsii wrote:Do you have or is there a guide of everything you need to do to setup the bot on a Windows 10 machine.

Download the latest release from here (named Budabot3.5_GA.zip when this post was written - not source code).

Unzip contents to somewhere on your machine. I would avoid the root of your C-drive. In general, if you have UAC enabled, place the contents inside your Program Files-folder (doesn't matter if it's x86 or the regular one, should you have a Win10 x64 installed), IF you want it on your system's drive (which I assume is your C-drive). You can also just place it into a 2nd drive, should you have one available (e.g. D:), and in this case, wherever will work just fine.

You should have an account for your bot, as well as created a character with whatever name you want for your bot, on said account. It can be a froob account, of course, so if you don't have one, just go to FC's homepage and create a new account (you can use the same email as your main account).

Run chatbot.bat. A guide will tell you what information is necessary to enter.
Closing the command-window will terminate the bot.

You should configure your bot ingame regarding accesslevels and what-not.
Give your bot a tell with the command !config, and it'll give you a list of modules. Click each module to configure them.
Configuring the modules might need admin/superadmin level, so do the configuration from the character you choose to be superadmin (done during the initial "wizard" when running chatbot.bat for the first time).

Do I need do download a sql thingy and that php thing too ?

Nope.

On a side note, some issues regarding running the bot on Windows 7 or 10 (can't remember), where the console window would seem to stop responding. I don't think a fix was found. I planned to have a friend test the bot in a terminal emulator on Windows, to see if it would fix the issue, but he never did test it.
If you find to experience the same issue, you can try the emulator yourself. It can be downloaded here.
Tyrence

Postby Tyrence » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:07 pm

eli wrote:On a side note, some issues regarding running the bot on Windows 7 or 10 (can't remember), where the console window would seem to stop responding. I don't think a fix was found. I planned to have a friend test the bot in a terminal emulator on Windows, to see if it would fix the issue, but he never did test it.
If you find to experience the same issue, you can try the emulator yourself. It can be downloaded here.

That is fixed in Budabot 3.5_GA because I reverted the PHP version back to 5.4. Although you have a good idea...maybe I should bundle an open source terminal emulator with the Windows version so I can update the PHP version to 7.1.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine
"Nearly all men stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." — Abraham Lincoln
Budabot Releases and Downloads: https://github.com/Budabot/Budabot/releases
eli

Postby eli » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:24 pm

maybe I should bundle an open source terminal emulator with the Windows version

cmder is portable, and it seems to be a favored choice by many. Not too funky, and it seems to have a lot of community guides/videos and what-not available, so not-so-nerdy folks can find help if they search for it.

Return to “General”