AQuest/Channel news type features?

Questions, comments, suggestions, and bug reports
liquidzoo

AQuest/Channel news type features?

Postby liquidzoo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:49 pm

Not sure if this is where this would go, but here goes.

Is there a module floating around out there that would allow me to have a bot send a message to one of more OOC channel (and/or private channel(s)) on a schedule? Something that could have an info screen (like AQuest does for Arete information) that would be updateable by a set list of admins (or even by 1 admin, it wouldn't really matter).

This is for a public project, but I'm just trying to plan it out for now. Any pointers would be helpful.
Tyrence

Re: AQuest/Channel news type features?

Postby Tyrence » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:06 am

There is no official module for something like that, since we don't really want to encourage bots spamming public channels. But of course, the bot can do it. What project are you trying to do?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine
"Nearly all men stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." — Abraham Lincoln
Budabot Releases and Downloads: https://github.com/Budabot/Budabot/releases
liquidzoo

Postby liquidzoo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:47 pm

Trying to get more player involvement in random RP events by setting up a news bot type thing that may send a message to the OOC channels every x hours (probably no less than every 4 hours or so). Just want it to send a chat link that would bring up a news type of window that others could update (ideally).

Definitely wouldn't want a bot that spammed channels too often, and it would be removed if it got to be too much of an issue with other players.
liquidzoo

Postby liquidzoo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:29 pm

If anyone can help me with this, please let me know. If you don't want it to be out there in the public eye, I completely understand; but please PM me. You can also contact me in-game (Tyndall).
Tyrence

Postby Tyrence » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:28 am

I would take a look at the Recruitment module someone posted in one of the other threads. I believe that posts to the public channels. I don't recall the name of the method from memory.

However, I don't think you will reach many people that way. At any given time, there are just so few people in one of the cities that you might be spamming, and even then, if they are AFK or not paying attention, they still won't get your message. You might have better luck posting your message on DarkNet. And then I would also make a post about it on the official AO forums. You will reach a lot more people that way than spamming the OOC channels. You might even talk to the Darknet coder and have him add an RP channel for you, once you get it up and going.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine
"Nearly all men stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." — Abraham Lincoln
Budabot Releases and Downloads: https://github.com/Budabot/Budabot/releases

Return to “General”