Super admin

Questions, comments, suggestions, and bug reports
Wkdmp
The Team

Super admin

Postby Wkdmp » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:32 pm

Is it possible to have more than one super admin ?
Snakebite
Site Admin

Re: Super admin

Postby Snakebite » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:48 pm

Bump for this interesting question... :mrgreen:
Wkdmp
The Team

Postby Wkdmp » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Wow Only 8 more posts till I over take snakebite

* 7 now *
Tyrence

Postby Tyrence » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:23 pm

No, it's not possible (without changing things).

The only thing that the Super Admin can do that any other Admin can't is add or remove admins.

So if you really wanted this functionality, you could look in /CORE/ADMIN and remove all the checks for Super Admin and replace them with a check for a normal admin. Then any admin will be able to add or remove any other admin.

If you do this, there is the potential that you add someone as an admin, and then he kicks you from being admin, and thus he takes over your bot.

In my experience, most people don't add or remove admins enough for this type of setup to be needed tho.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine
"Nearly all men stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." — Abraham Lincoln
Budabot Releases and Downloads: https://github.com/Budabot/Budabot/releases
Snakebite
Site Admin

Postby Snakebite » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:17 pm

Is there a bot status UNDER Admin but above normal users?

If so, you could possibly alter the lower one to become Admin, then alter Admin to act as Super Admin? Did that make any sense?

And as for my post count, most of those were made in the early days of the Forum, now that's it's all getting technical and ultra nerdy, I'm pretty much at a loss for words, so I just make sure there's no pr0n or bad words in a post then move on lol.
Most of my thoughts about current posts run something along the lines of "WTF does that mean?" :mrgreen:
Tyrence

Postby Tyrence » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:05 pm

There are actually 4 levels of admin on the bot.

Super Admin
Admin
Raidleader

You can't really change them tho like that without recoding the bot.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine
"Nearly all men stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." — Abraham Lincoln
Wil
antispam: Alantean

Postby Wil » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:03 pm

I think I might code in a request to allow for multiple SuperAdmins. I personally host the org bot and set my own account as the SuperAdmin, but I am not the org leader so this could be annoying for me to add users on the whim of the org leader. I'll most likely do a pull/merge request on github at some once I add the feature and fully test it.

P.S - Sorry for the necro, didn't feel like making my own post just to add this lol.
Tyrence

Postby Tyrence » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:07 am

I think it would be a good feature to add. I would prefer it if you modified the config file to handle either a comma separated list of names or an array list of names and not as an !addsuperadmin command. It's more secure that way...it can't be mis-configured to allow anyone access, and no one can be tricked into clicking links that add or remove people as super admins. This means that adding and removing super admins requires modifying the config file, and restarting the bot. That is not the most convenient way, but it's probably not something that will change very often, and this keeps it secure.

Code: Select all

// comma separated list
$vars['SuperAdmin'] = "Tyrence, Crattyr";

// array list
$vars['SuperAdmin'] = ["Tyrence", "Crattyr"];

I'm not sure which would be better, but if you opt to use a comma-separated list, you should probably transform that into an array list when you store it internally.
Wil
antispam: Alantean

Postby Wil » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:32 pm

I'll use an array when I do it. Shouldn't require much refracting.

Return to “General”