Development Tools

Interested in helping with the development of Budabot? Post your interest here.
Arsenal

Development Tools

Postby Arsenal » Sat May 01, 2010 10:16 am

I wanted to ask, which (if any) IDE you are using to develop the bot.

I just installed PDT on my Eclipse installation and checked the SVN repository out using Subclipse.

It all went smooth (except for a version conflict with another plugin of eclipse).
After the checkout PDT showed me that there are 4 errors in the Guidebot-module and so I fixed them. Now they didn't catch anyones eye, thus I'm wondering which tools you are using, and if it might be a good idea to switch to PDT for you too.
Tyrence
The Team

Re: Development Tools

Postby Tyrence » Sat May 01, 2010 2:41 pm

I actually just had this discussion with Ethereal yesterday. We both develop on Windows using Notepad++, coincidentally. I also use TortoiseSVN, grepWin for find(and replace) and WinMerge for comparing file versions. I think Lucier develops on Windows using jEdit.

For php I've used Zend Studio, and Eclipse also. I liked both of them, but I am leaning towards Notepad++ right now since it's quite a bit lighter than either of those two applications.

Also, I formatted and posted our 'policy' for svn from a discussion I had with Lucier about it. see: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=109 It's a pretty standard svn layout I think.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine
"Nearly all men stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." — Abraham Lincoln
Budabot Releases and Downloads: https://github.com/Budabot/Budabot/releases
Arsenal

Postby Arsenal » Sat May 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Tyrence wrote:I actually just had this discussion with Ethereal yesterday. We both develop on Windows using Notepad++, coincidentally. I also use TortoiseSVN, grepWin for find(and replace) and WinMerge for comparing file versions. I think Lucier develops on Windows using jEdit.

For php I've used Zend Studio, and Eclipse also. I liked both of them, but I am leaning towards Notepad++ right now since it's quite a bit lighter than either of those two applications.

Well Notepad++ is my favorite on doing something quick and dirty, TortoiseSVN is the standard SVN Client I believe, I also have that one installed.

grepWin and WinMerge are something new for me.

I'm trying to get PDT running with XDebug, because it's such a pain in the ass to debug stuff without a decent debugger on your side. If this actually works, it'll be a great plus for the Eclipse solution.

Edit:
Wow, I actually got it to work, now I can step through my horrible codes and see what they do.

If someone is interested in doing the same thing, this was my way:
Install Eclipse for PHP Developers (or install the PDT if you have an existing Eclipse installation)
Then install Xampp (well it should be possible to do it with the executables from the package but all guides I found were on a Xampp basis)
Follow these instructions on how to setup Xdebug for Xampp actually for the latest version of PHP (eg >=5.3) you need to use zend_extension instead of zend_extension_ts
Then you can create a PHP-Project in Eclipse and import all BudaBot stuff there. (or if you have SubClipse just create a new project through checking out the 0.6 branch)

For debugging, you don't want to use the mainloop.php but the main.php. Reason is, that mainloop.php executes main.php and this results in some strange behavior.

To setup the debugging, open the Debug Configurations and create a new PHP Script debugging configuration. Select the main.php as file to debug, select Xdebug as debugger, and you probably have to setup your php executable. Select your Xampp Php.exe and the php.ini stored in the same folder. Then switch to the PHP script arguments and enter config.php.

This should be it, you're ready to debug something. The easiest way to do this is to set a breakpoint just on the line you suspect something is happening (like in a module-php).
Ethereal

Postby Ethereal » Sat May 01, 2010 8:40 pm

winMerge is a little new for me too. I use the compare module for notepad++ which allows me to compare files already open in notepad++, rather than having to open the targets up in a whole separate program. I'll checkout PDT as well.
Arguru
The Team
antispam: Rimor

Postby Arguru » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Personally I use Xcode which has everything built in that I need, including a virtual environment to test it. Mostly when changing stuff I commit it to my private repo first, then svn checkout from my linux box to a seperate budabot-devel. If my spelling fixes didn't break anything I commit it using SCToolbarExtension to the Buda repo (because Xcode doesn't play along with code.google.com, for some reason the ssh+svn combo breaks it).
Rigger Faxing "Argufix" Berlin | 187/21/35 Omni Male Opifex Fixer <-- Screw S10, on the way to 220!
I "Argutrai" Remember | 15/2/3 Omni Male Atrox Trader <-- TL1 tower twink in progress.
Everything "Arguageii" Before | 6/2/0 Omni Male Opifex Agent <-- TL2 tower twink in progress.

Communications General of Pack of Noobs
Noobnet Administrator | Budabot Developer | Twinkbot Raidleader | Warcouncil Representative
Snakebite
Site Admin

Postby Snakebite » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:37 pm

Don't make me ban you guys for talking in code!!!

Damn geeks... ;)
/me wanders off muttering...
Arguru
The Team

Postby Arguru » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:30 pm

Snakebite wrote:Don't make me ban you guys for talking in code!!!

Damn geeks... ;)
/me wanders off muttering...

Code: Select all

if ($user == Snakebite) {
   $msg = "Nerf!!!";
} else {
   return false;
}

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :P
Rigger Faxing "Argufix" Berlin | 187/21/35 Omni Male Opifex Fixer <-- Screw S10, on the way to 220!
I "Argutrai" Remember | 15/2/3 Omni Male Atrox Trader <-- TL1 tower twink in progress.
Everything "Arguageii" Before | 6/2/0 Omni Male Opifex Agent <-- TL2 tower twink in progress.

Communications General of Pack of Noobs
Noobnet Administrator | Budabot Developer | Twinkbot Raidleader | Warcouncil Representative
Snakebite
Site Admin

Postby Snakebite » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:09 am

Arguru wrote:

Code: Select all

if ($user == Snakebite) {
   $msg = "Nerf!!!";
} else {
   return false;
}

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :P

Aaah, now, see, I actually understand that, it's amost basic lol.

/me looks around for his nerf stick with added rusty nails...
crudpuppy

Postby crudpuppy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:21 pm

I'm a Zend guy myself...not the newer eclipse base because it reminds me too much of my J2ee days but the older versions 5.5.1 I run right now are great and while I can code in notepad the ability to quickly jump around to a function's code, define statement etc and the code completion are invaluable especially when playing around in a system your not use tot he code of like budabot.
Kilmanagh

Postby Kilmanagh » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:00 pm

I use Jetbrains PHPStorm for all of my PHP needs. You can get a main developer here to submit the project to Jetbrains and ask for a free license key that can be renewed yearly. The license allows anyone covered by the project to be licensed. I am doing the same for one of the projects I am working on. As mentioned, Eclipse is a good free product as well.
I just prefer PHPStorm because of its debugging abilities and targeting specific interpreters per project, or even trying different PHP versions to see how things work using newer PHP libs. You can use Xdebug or Zend, with some changes in the PHP.INI to point to your chosen debugger.

Return to “Budabot Team”