FC removed !server functionality

Interested in helping with the development of Budabot? Post your interest here.
Arguru
The Team
antispam: Rimor

FC removed !server functionality

Postby Arguru » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:45 pm

In chronological order.

nanoforcer:
http://probes.funcom.com/ao.xml
It seems to be gone, wich is needed for some stuff like !server in budabot to track how many players are logged on, stat in different zones etc etc.
Any word on it?

Argure (removed):
I'm 95,23% sure they removed it *exactly* because Budabot implemented !server. Funcom doesn't really like it when third party tools use their own data to empirically prove how dead this game really is.

Anarrina (pm):
Dear Arguru,

You have received an infraction at Anarchy Online Bulletin Board.

Reason: Flaming/Trolling
-------
These sort of speculative comments are inappropriate and unnecessary.
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showth ... ?p=6120253

All the best,
Anarchy Online Bulletin Board

Argure (pm):
And yet also completely true.

Anarrina (pm):
Speculative.

Argure (pm):
It's been pretty much confirmed by Funcom employees that Budabot's !server command was not their intended use for the playfield probe. I can only imagine how much of a thorn it must be in the eye of FC to have their own data being extrapolated to empirically and objectively prove how much the population is dying.

Funnily enough with the distributed nature of chatbots they could do little about it other than removing the probe altogether, which they expectedly did. Ostriches have a similar strategy of sticking their heads in the sand. :) What you are basically saying is similar to stating 'boo, Argure, you can't talk bad about the ostriches!'

Macrosun:
Hi,

Due to various reasons I won't go in to here, this has been removed and it is not going to come back (at least not like it was before). There are no plans to replace it with something new right now either.

At this time I decided to call Anarrina's bluff and PM Macrosun.

Argure (pm):
Can you confirm or deny that this service was removed because Budabot was able to extrapolate current server population using this data?

Stay tuned! :)
Rigger Faxing "Argufix" Berlin | 187/21/35 Omni Male Opifex Fixer <-- Screw S10, on the way to 220!
I "Argutrai" Remember | 15/2/3 Omni Male Atrox Trader <-- TL1 tower twink in progress.
Everything "Arguageii" Before | 6/2/0 Omni Male Opifex Agent <-- TL2 tower twink in progress.

Communications General of Pack of Noobs
Noobnet Administrator | Budabot Developer | Twinkbot Raidleader | Warcouncil Representative

Return to “Budabot Team”